Friday, May 18, 2007

Entrelac on Track

I'm on my last row of squares on my entrelac bag. Actually they aren't really squares, they're triangles because I want to finish the bag with a straight edge. I figured out how to do the top triangles myself because I've haven't found any instructions for that sort of thing on line and I'm too cheap/lazy to look for a book that might have the information. Most entrelac bags seem to be knit top down with decreases at the bottom, making a nifty star design in the process, but I really wanted to start at the bottom to be able to try to establish the right size. We'll just have to see if that is going to work out later.

I've been playing around with entrelac anyway. I'm really intrigued by examples of "triangular" entrelac I've spotted on the web and have been determined to figure out how it's done. Again - couldn't find directions. I think I remember seeing a class offered on the west coast, but that would be inconvenient to say the least. I've been doing enough entrelac now to have a pretty good understanding of how it works, so I picked up some yarn and needles and started playing around. I'm still working out my method, but this practice piece really helped me with my bag.

I hope to finish knitting the bag this weekend. I can't wait to get it into the washing machine!