Sunday, March 4, 2007

Entrelac Bag #2

I enjoyed working on the Market Squares Bag so much that I wanted to try another entrelac project. I wanted to change things up a little though - a different bag design and I thought it would be fun to try a variegated yarn. As luck (or my yarn buying habit) would have it, I already had three skeins of Noro Kureyon in colorway 147 in my stash. After looking at endless pictures of other knitter's beautiful bags in Kureyon I'd been itching to try it myself. But three skeins? I had something a little larger than that in mind. I started thinking about adding a solid color, maybe in alternate tiers of squares to make the Kureyon go farther. I figured Lamb's Pride Worsted was probably close enough in gauge so I checked out my supply and found a few colors that might work. Once I got all the colors together I decided not to limit myself to just one color but to use all of them, still using the Kureyon in every other tier. I was pretty psyched to start knitting so I cast on with some Lamb's Pride in Blue Heirloom (having picked this as the dominant color in the bag) and knit away. Now you may have noticed that I haven't mentioned anything about a pattern. Well, I had some basic ideas about the size and shape I wanted, and I was pretty confident after having completed one entrelac bag, so I just decided to wing it! This is what I came up with...

I'm pretty pleased with how the colors work together - I think the Lamb's Pride helped brighten things up a bit. I love the star design you get on the bottom when you do the decreases.

Of course it was only when I was about 90% done knitting that I read on someones site about how difficult it was to get Noro to felt. Hmmmm. LP felts like a dream. Noro, not so much. (Maybe that's why I haven't noticed other felting projects using these two yarns together.) Well I was too close to the end to not finish it, but I was starting to worry a little. I guess I assumed that since I had seen soooo many felted projects made with Kureyon that it felted readily. My bad. Anyway, I'll let you know how it turns out. Probably.

3 comments:

Persnickety Knitter said...

Your bag looks great. I love the colors. I hope the felting works out.

knittin gin said...

Thank you! My blog's pretty new and you're my first comment!
I guess you probably noticed I've been checking out your blog too. (I love the Komi-patterned bag you did.)
The felting on my bag turned out pretty well. I'll try to post some pictures soon!

YarnThing said...

MG! I love that bag! I HAVE to learn how to do that cause I HAVE TO MAKE THAT BAG!

Give me all the details!!

Marly
knitthing.blogspot.com
knithing.mypodcast.com